When I think of summer, one of the first vegetables that come to mind are tomatoes (which are actually a fruit) and then I think of one of my mom’s favorite salads, Cucumber Tomato Salad. I remember being a child sitting at the table, peering in the kitchen to watch my mom chop the cucumbers, Roma tomatoes, and thinly sliced the white onions into a bowl, then added some distilled white vinegar, salt, black pepper, and a little white sugar. I didn’t really care for tomatoes when I was coming up, but for some reason, I sure did love it when my mother made this salad. I wanted to pay homage to my mother by adding a special twist to her salad. Here enters my Spiralized Cucumber Tomato Salad with Thai Basil Ginger Vinaigrette!
Flavor Profile of the Spiralized Cucumber Tomato Salad
My Spiralized Cucumber Tomato Salad is so light and refreshing you’ll want to grab a fork and eat the entire bowl in one sitting so feel free to double this recipe if you would like to serve it to more than one, I mean four people! This Spiralized Cucumber Tomato Salad is tangy and subtly sweet, thanks to the champagne and rice wine vinegars, a little spicy from the freshly grated ginger, and the avocado oil provides a slight buttery feel and nuttiness! That Thai basil just adds freshness and almost a minty taste because Thai basil tastes more similar to mint than it does basil. If you want to read a little bit more about it check out my recipe, Strawberry Basil ‘Jito Cooler.
Even though my father and I loved this Spiralized Cucumber Tomato Salad we both agreed that my mom probably wouldn’t think my salad could top hers! LOL And that is fine, my mom was a simple lady when it came to food and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with simple. There’s also nothing wrong with elevating simple a lil’ bit!
Reason Behind the Spiralized Cucumber Tomato Salad
This Spiralized Cucumber Tomato Salad came to be from me wanting to elevate my mom’s diced cucumbers to something with a little more pizzazz, but if you don’t have a spiralizer feel free to just dice your cucumbers, the salad with the Thai Basil Ginger Vinaigrette will still taste delish! I served the salad with my Spiced Cherry Glazed Salmon. Feel free to use it as a side dish, a side salad, or even as a main dish for lunch.
Are you going to make this Spiralized Cucumber Tomato Salad before the summer ends? Let me know down below in the comment section! Don’t forget to Yummly and Pin this recipe to save it for later. As always, I love talking to y’all on social media when I’m not on the blog. If you aren’t following me on social media already then go ahead and click these links to follow me: Bloglovin’, Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Snapchat (@merci_britte) to stay up-to-date. Also please subscribe to my YouTube channel because I will be adding more recipe and chat videos soon!
- 6 cups spiralized cucumber noodles 2 large organic cucumbers
- 2/3 cup organic red onion thinly sliced or spiralized
- 1 cup organic grape tomatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons Thai basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon organic cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- Juice of half an organic lemon
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- In a large bowl, combine spiralized cucumber noodles, spiralized or thinly sliced red onion, and grape tomato halves.
- In a small bowl, combine chopped Thai basil, grated ginger, sugar, sea salt, black pepper, rice wine vinegar, champagne vinegar, and lemon juice with a whisk. Slowly stream the avocado oil into the bowl while whisking the vinaigrette. Pour the Thai Basil Ginger Vinaigrette over the cucumber noodles, red onion, and grape tomatoes. Toss the salad together using tongs or salad fork until fully combined. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
If you don't have a spiralizer, feel free to just dice the cucumber and thinly slice the red onion with a knife or a mandoline.