I’m officially back, guys! Missed me? It’s okay, you don’t have to tell me how much you missed me because I already know. LOL I missed y’all! Anyway, I wanted to come back with a breakfast (or brunch, if you add mimosas) recipe that is sure to please you and the fam. Cinnamon Vanilla Whole Wheat Pancakes with Homemade Plum Syrup are going to be some of the best pancakes you’ve ever shoveled into your mouth! Yes, shoveled, because you won’t have any time to look cute while devouring these pancakes.
These fluffy, tender, crispy Cinnamon Vanilla Whole Wheat Pancakes with Homemade Plum Syrup are made entirely from organic ingredients. To keep these pancakes from tasting too “wheaty,” y’all know the taste I’m talking about, I’ve added some organic unbleached all-purpose flour to the organic white whole wheat flour. This is the trick to get your family to eat more whole wheat foods, sub out some of the whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour. The other tip I have about using whole wheat flour that I’ve told you guys about in previous posts is to let the batter sit for at least 10-15 minutes to allow the flour to hydrate to reduce the wheaty flavor.
What makes these Cinnamon Vanilla Whole Wheat Pancakes vanilla is…you guessed it! VANILLA! But not just plain old vanilla extract, we’re punching up the vanilla flavor by using vanilla almond milk too! A double whammy of vanilla goodness makes us all happy. If you don’t want to use vanilla almond milk just increase the amount of vanilla extract by adding 1 more teaspoon.
The only thing that can elevate these Cinnamon Vanilla Whole Wheat Pancakes is a homemade syrup. We aren’t buying syrup in 2018 anymore, we are making syrup from scratch. Say it with me! Is that something we can all agree with? Homemade syrup, specifically my Homemade Plum Syrup, will make you question why you’ve ever bought the bottled stuff. We’re vowing to stay away from corn syrup and the other nasty additives in bottled syrups! A little ground ginger makes the plum flavor pop and dance on your tongue. And if plum syrup really isn’t your thing then make my Spicy Butter Pecan Syrup from my Spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken and Red Velvet Waffles with Spicy Butter Pecan Syrup post.
Here it is 7 P.M. on a Friday night and I want to get in the kitchen and make these Cinnamon Vanilla Whole Wheat Pancakes for dinner, but the A/C in my house has been out and I’m trying to stay out of the kitchen. You guys know too much heat emanating from the kitchen will increase the house’s temperature and we don’t want that. So do me a favor and make these pancakes this weekend, tag me in your pictures on social media (IG & Twitter: @Merci_Britte) so I can live vicariously through you!
If you love this recipe be sure to share it with your family and friends by using the share buttons at the top, side, and bottom of this post. To keep up with me outside of this blog be sure to follow me on social media. Here are my links: Bloglovin’,Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat to stay up-to-date. Also, please subscribe to my YouTube channel .
Fluffy, crispy organic Cinnamon Vanilla Whole Wheat Pancakes are topped with a slightly spiced Homemade Plum Syrup.
- 3/4 cup organic white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup organic unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons organic ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1 organic egg
- 4 tablespoons grass-fed butter melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- 1 cup organic brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon organic ground ginger
- 2 plums diced
- 1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- Whisk flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and sea salt together in a medium-sized bowl and set aside. In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together the almond milk, egg, and melted butter until blended.
- Make a well in the center of the flour bowl and pour the milk mixture into the well and stir with a fork until mixed through and only small lumps remain. Be sure to not over mix the batter. If the batter is too thick, thin with an additional 1-2 tablespoons of almond milk.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Lightly butter the skillet or spray with coconut oil. Spoon or pour 1/4 cup of the batter onto the skillet and gently spread into a 4-inch circle.
- Once the edges begin to look dry and bubbles start to appear and pop on the surface, flip the pancakes over, this will take approximately 2 minutes. Once the pancakes have been flipped cook 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked in the middle. Serve warm with the Homemade Plum Syrup.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugars, water, ground ginger, and diced plums. Bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and sea salt.
- Syrup will thicken as it cools. Serve warm over the Cinnamon Vanilla Whole Wheat Pancakes.
Pancakes adapted from Inspired Taste.