I FINALLY have a breakfast recipe to share with y’all! Or is it a brunch recipe? Hmm. *insert thinking emoji* Heck, this Chicken Sausage, Kale, & Butternut Squash Frittata can even be served for dinner because that’s exactly when I ate it. If it’s just you and one other person in your household you can use this Chicken Sausage, Kale, & Butternut Squash Frittata as a meal prep breakfast by making it Sunday night, slicing it like a pie, and portioning it out into containers for the next few days.
Okay, let’s take a few moments of silence to acknowledge just how flavorful this Chicken Sausage, Kale, & Butternut Squash Frittata is! Just. Look. At. It.
The golden brown cheesy crust from the shredded salty Parmesan, the bits of roasted butternut squash, the sautéed baby kale and baby bella mushrooms mixed with the creamy roasted garlic. A finely diced serrano pepper packs a little punch to your taste buds along with the kick from the crumbled hot Italian chicken sausage. (I purchased the chicken sausage from Sprouts Farmers Market because they do not use nitrates, nitrites or MSG in their sausage.) Honey, when I tell you this Chicken Sausage, Kale, & Butternut Squash Frittata packs a wallop of flavor!!!
The only thing that I think could’ve made enjoying this frittata better was sipping on a mimosa. 🙁 My Prosecco wasn’t cold so I had to skip it. *face palm* So, don’t be like me and forget to chill your Prosecco.
Tips for Chicken Sausage, Kale, & Butternut Squash Frittata
If you would like to roast your butternut squash the day before then go ahead and do so! I bought a bag of diced butternut squash and then baked it at 425°F for 20 minutes. All I did was rub the butternut squash in a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, and Italian seasoning.
Have all of your ingredients mise en place, meaning “everything in its place” because the making of this Chicken Sausage, Kale, & Butternut Squash Frittata moves fairly quickly. It may not move as fast as making a stir fry but you don’t want to be caught slipping. LOL
My red onion was sliced so thin because I had some leftover from my Cucumber Noodles and Tomato Salad that I will be sharing in a few days. I used my spiralizer to slice the red onion and boy did it slice that baby thinly!
The last tip I have to give is to grate your cheeses yourself. When you buy shredded cheese it is dusted in anti-caking agents that may affect the way your dishes thicken so I always buy blocks of cheese and grate them myself. When I was shopping at HEB this weekend I discovered an organic Garlic & Herb Jack Cheese so I purchased it and used that in this frittata along with some grated Gruyère. If you can’t find organic Garlic & Herb Jack Cheese feel free to use your favorite white cheese that has great melting quality.
Okay, so I’m not going to keep y’all here forever. Go forth and prep to make this delectable Chicken Sausage, Kale, & Butternut Squash Frittata. You’ve got this; it’s not daunting! Do you prefer frittatas to omelets? I LOVE both! Let me know down below in the comment section. Don’t forget to Yummly and Pin this recipe to save it for later. Also, when you make this dish, please tag me in your pictures online! Y’all know I love talking to you guys on social media so don’t forget to follow me everywhere. Here are my links: Bloglovin’,Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Snapchat (@merci_britte) to stay up-to-date. Also please subscribe to my YouTube channel because I will be adding more recipe and chat videos!
Tools I used in this recipe:
- 1/2 pound hot Italian chicken sausage 2 links removed from casing
- olive oil for pan
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup sliced organic mushrooms
- 1/2 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 3 cups organic baby kale
- 1 serrano pepper finely diced
- 3 cloves roasted garlic crushed
- 10 ounces roasted diced butternut squash
- 1/2 cup shredded organic Garlic & Herb Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 organic brown eggs
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- In a 10-inch cast iron skillet placed over medium high heat, add olive oil and chicken sausage. Crumble chicken sausage and cook until it is done. Remove the chicken sausage crumbles from the pan and set aside. Drain off excess grease from the pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk, and seasonings well. Then add the grated jack and Gruyère cheese. Set the bowl aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and a drizzle of olive oil to the pan and add mushrooms and onions, cooking it over medium heat for 1 minute. Add baby kale, stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add diced serrano pepper and crushed roasted garlic, cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add remaining butter to the pan and then add butternut squash and chicken sausage crumbles. Cook for 1 minute, and then add the beaten egg mixture to the skillet over the vegetable and chicken sausage mixture. Cook the frittata over medium heat for 8-10 minutes. Gently loosen the egg mixture from the side of the pan using a spatula during the first few minutes of cooking, so the frittata will not stick to the sides of the pan.
- Sprinkle the grated Parmesan cheese on top before placing the pan in the oven to broil for 1-2 minutes. Do not let the top overbrown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool for at least 3-5 minutes before slicing to serve.