I know what you’re thinking, “Cherry glaze on chicken wings?! Why do I want fruit on my chicken wings?” Hear me out! You NEED these Spicy Cherry Glazed Chicken Wings in your life! My Spiced Cherry Glaze combined with red pepper flakes luxuriously coats the oven baked crispy chicken wings to perfection! Just think of the Spiced Cherry Glaze as BBQ sauce–balanced with sweet, a little heat, spices, and tanginess from the red wine vinegar.
So now that we have our heads wrapped around the idea of using my Quick & Easy Spiced Cherry Glaze as if it was BBQ sauce, let’s delve a bit deeper into how to make these juicy, crispy babies! I wanted to keep these Spicy Cherry Glazed Chicken Wings as simple as possible. Most of the effort will go into making the Spiced Cherry Glaze and I told y’all in that post that you could make the glaze ahead of time, store it in the fridge, and use it to glaze chicken, fish, seafood, ham, etc. To get these oven baked wings crispy you will need one special ingredient, baking powder (aluminum free, please)!
How To Make Spicy Cherry Glazed Chicken Wings
Trust me, you won’t taste the baking powder at all when the wings are fully cooked. The reason for using baking powder is for the same carbon dioxide reaction baking powder produces in baked goods. I don’t want to get too technical on y’all so I will link the full article here. In conclusion, the baking powder draws moisture onto the surface of the chicken’s skin so that the moisture can evaporate causing the skin to crisp up.
Related: Spiced Cherry Glazed Salmon
So all we have to do is:
- Pat the wings dry.
- Toss the seasonings into the baking powder.
- Coat the wings in the baking powder mixture.
- Place the coated wings on a baking rack set over a baking sheet.
- Bake the wings in a preheated 425°F oven for 20 minutes. Flip the wings to the other side and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Lastly, flip the chicken once more and bake for an additional 10 minutes to ensure the skin is crispy.
- Then remove the wings from the oven, allow to cool on the baking rack for a few minutes, then place the wings in a bowl.
- Spoon some warm Spiced Cherry Glaze on the wings and toss in some red pepper flakes. If you want the glaze even spicier, add in some Sriracha or Sambal Oelek. Toss the wings in the sauce and they are ready to serve.
That’s it, y’all! These Spicy Cherry Glazed Wings are pretty simple and easy to prepare for a large gathering as well. Your guests will love the slight sweetness and tanginess of the Spiced Cherry Glaze mixed with the spiciness of the red pepper flakes all while coating guilt-free crispy chicken wings. OMG! I think I’m going to throw some more wings in the oven after I finish typing this. Anyway, I want to hear from you guys. Will you be making these Spicy Cherry Glazed Chicken Wings for your next sports gathering? Let me know down below in the comment section or on social media. Here are my social media links: Bloglovin’,Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Snapchat (@merci_britte) to stay up-to-date. Also please subscribe to my YouTube channel because I will be adding a margarita recipe video next week!
- 2 pounds organic free-range chicken wings flats and drums
- 2 tablespoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon organic granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon organic ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- Spiced Cherry Glaze recipe link in Notes section
- Red pepper flakes
Preheat oven to 425°F. Place a baking rack on a baking sheet and set aside.
In a large bowl, add patted dry chicken wings. In a small bowl, whisk together the baking powder and all of the seasonings except for the Spiced Cherry Glaze and red pepper flakes. Gently coat the chicken wings in the baking powder mixture, ensuring that each wing is fully coated.
Place the coated chicken wings onto the baking rack set on top of the baking sheet. Make sure the chicken wings do not touch each other. Bake the chicken wings for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the chicken wings from the oven and flip over, bake for an additional 20 minutes. Lastly, remove the chicken wings from the oven and flip once more and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the chicken is crispy.
Remove the chicken wings from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking rack for a few minutes.
Place the chicken wings in a clean bowl and then toss the chicken wings in warm Spiced Cherry Glaze and red pepper flakes.
To serve, garnish the chicken wings with cilantro or parsley and a little more red pepper flakes.
Notes: Use as much or as little Spiced Cherry Glaze as you want, and the same goes for the red pepper flakes. The spice level is totally customizable.