I know what you’re thinking, “Cherry glaze on chicken wings?! Why do I want fruit on my chicken wings?” Hear me out! You NEED these Spicy Cherry Glazed Chicken Wings in your life! My Spiced Cherry Glaze combined with red pepper flakes luxuriously coats the oven baked crispy chicken wings to perfection! Just think of the Spiced Cherry Glaze as BBQ sauce–balanced with sweet, a little heat, spices, and tanginess from the red wine vinegar.
So now that we have our heads wrapped around the idea of using my Quick & Easy Spiced Cherry Glaze as if it was BBQ sauce, let’s delve a bit deeper into how to make these juicy, crispy babies! I wanted to keep these Spicy Cherry Glazed Chicken Wings as simple as possible. Most of the effort will go into making the Spiced Cherry Glaze and I told y’all in that post that you could make the glaze ahead of time, store it in the fridge, and use it to glaze chicken, fish, seafood, ham, etc. To get these oven baked wings crispy you will need one special ingredient, baking powder (aluminum free, please)!
How To Make Spicy Cherry Glazed Chicken Wings
Trust me, you won’t taste the baking powder at all when the wings are fully cooked. The reason for using baking powder is for the same carbon dioxide reaction baking powder produces in baked goods. I don’t want to get too technical on y’all so I will link the full article here. In conclusion, the baking powder draws moisture onto the surface of the chicken’s skin so that the moisture can evaporate causing the skin to crisp up.
Related: Spiced Cherry Glazed Salmon
So all we have to do is:
- Pat the wings dry.
- Toss the seasonings into the baking powder.
- Coat the wings in the baking powder mixture.
- Place the coated wings on a baking rack set over a baking sheet.
- Bake the wings in a preheated 425°F oven for 20 minutes. Flip the wings to the other side and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Lastly, flip the chicken once more and bake for an additional 10 minutes to ensure the skin is crispy.
- Then remove the wings from the oven, allow to cool on the baking rack for a few minutes, then place the wings in a bowl.
- Spoon some warm Spiced Cherry Glaze on the wings and toss in some red pepper flakes. If you want the glaze even spicier, add in some Sriracha or Sambal Oelek. Toss the wings in the sauce and they are ready to serve.
That’s it, y’all! These Spicy Cherry Glazed Wings are pretty simple and easy to prepare for a large gathering as well. Your guests will love the slight sweetness and tanginess of the Spiced Cherry Glaze mixed with the spiciness of the red pepper flakes all while coating guilt-free crispy chicken wings. OMG! I think I’m going to throw some more wings in the oven after I finish typing this. Anyway, I want to hear from you guys. Will you be making these Spicy Cherry Glazed Chicken Wings for your next sports gathering? Let me know down below in the comment section or on social media. Here are my social media links: Bloglovin’, Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Snapchat (@merci_britte) to stay up-to-date. Also please subscribe to my YouTube channel because I will be adding a margarita recipe video next week!