These Browned Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies are pretty much perfection incarnate. Yep, I said it! Pretty sure these cookies could win the Pulitzer Prize for bringing peace and uniting the world. Well, a girl can dream! LOL
Hurricane/Tropical Storm Harvey
I’ll just start by trying to spread these Browned Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies around Houston, especially during the Hurricane (now Tropical Storm) Harvey aftermath. Houston’s going to need a pick-me-up to lift our spirits because we’ve never seen any natural disaster like this. We thought Tropical Storm Allison and Hurricane Rita and Ike were bad, but Harvey’s impact and damage seems to be much more widespread. Not going to lie, I’m pretty fearful of our house flooding because it is flooding EVERYWHERE around us! It’s only Day 3 and we still have 4-5 days left. =( My 4-legged baby, Nugget, has remained by my side because he’s afraid and can’t understand why it keeps raining. Can’t imagine how all of the animals across Houston and South Texas feel right now.
Anyway, when I get nervous I tend to eat so y’all know these Browned Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies are almost gone. Am I ashamed? Not even a little bit! LOL These cookies are organic and made with my favorite organic white whole wheat flour so I don’t feel too guilty. Right now, I am more worried about how my body feels in these weather conditions than anything. Fibromyalgia fighters tend to suffer when the weather changes, it’s almost like having arthritis…my body will let me know when the weather is changing. So I expect my joints and muscles to stiffen up over the next few days. Praying it doesn’t become too unbearable because I don’t want to experience a flare up.
I recorded myself making the Browned Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies. I’m trying to get the hang of recording recipe videos so you guys will definitely see even more videos in the future! I’m geeked about it and so delighted to add more skills to my belt. *insert cheesy grin emoji*
The Reason Behind Browned Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Let’s get into these cookies! Last week, a friend came to visit me and asked if I could make some pecan chocolate chip cookies. I was happy to oblige and took it as an opportunity to incorporate one of my absolute favorite ingredients, browned butter! I ADORE the nutty and caramelized flavor that browned butter lends to food. If you aren’t familiar with browned butter it’s basically a process of cooking the butter over medium heat until the milk solids in the butter brown and become little brown bits that impart that nuttiness to your dishes. Be sure to cool the browned butter completely before mixing it into the softened butter and sugar mixture. Yep, I used browned AND softened butter because I wanted these cookies to be chewy on the inside and crisp around the edges, which is honestly the BEST way to have a chocolate chip cookie!
BUT WAIT! I took these cookies one step further by using the browned butter to make buttered pecans. After I remove the browned butter, bits and all, from the saucepan I added back 3 tablespoons of the browned butter, 3 tablespoons of organic brown sugar, and 1 cup of chopped pecans. Boy, did that make these cookies extra special. I just love butter pecan anything and I know I’m not alone out there. Raise your virtual hand if you are a butter pecan lover!
Tips for Browned Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Now, you’ll see in the recipe that I used a half cup each of dark and milk chocolate chips. Well, really I used callets because I buy my premium chocolate from the restaurant supply store. Also, I haven’t seen semi-sweet callets. Callets are just slightly bigger than chocolate chips. So feel free to use semi-sweet chocolate chips in this recipe or you can mix dark and milk chocolate chips. Do whatever floats your boat! Just like if you don’t have all of the organic ingredients I use to bake then go ahead and use the flour and sugar that you have. I just want to encourage y’all to make the switch to an organic lifestyle, but I understand it takes baby steps .
Anyway, I’m going to go ahead and spend a little time with my family and try to get some rest while the rain is slowly drizzling. Houstonians and other Texans, I pray you all stay safe and as dry as possible. We will get through this! Stay encouraged. For all of my other readers across the country and the world, please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. Also, if you like this Browned Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, please be sure to share it with your friends and family by using the share buttons at the side, top, or bottom of this post. Save it for later by using the Yum and Pin buttons. Y’all should know by now that I love talking to you guys on social media. If you aren’t following me already, be sure to click on the following links and chat with me sometime! Here are the links: Bloglovin’,Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Snapchat (@merci_britte) to stay up-to-date. Also please subscribe to my YouTube channel because I will be adding more recipe and chat videos!
- 2 sticks butter 1 stick softened and 1 stick for browning
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons organic brown sugar for pecans
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 2 organic brown eggs
- 2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- 1 cup organic unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup organic whole white wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat melt 1 stick of butter stirring it in the pan occasionally. The butter will foam as it cooks and will make popping noises. Keep a close eye on the butter once the popping slows down and stops. The butter will smell nutty and brown bits will appear at the bottom of the saucepan. Once the sizzling has stopped remove the butter from the stove and pour it into a small bowl to cool completely.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of the browned butter back into the saucepan and add the 3 tablespoons of organic brown sugar. Also, add the chopped pecans to the browned butter and sugar. Stir it together and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Remove the butter pecans from the saucepan and pour into a small bowl to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the stick of softened butter and beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Then add in the brown sugar and cane sugar and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add browned butter and beat on medium speed for 1 minute, until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
- Add the eggs to the mixture and beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Add the flours, salt, and baking soda and beat on low speed just until everything is incorporated.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and use a rubber spatula to fold in the chocolate chips and butter pecans. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour. The longer it chills the less the cookies will spread when it bakes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and place the rack in the center of the oven. Line a baking sheet with a silicone liner. Scoop the dough into 3 tablespoon-sized balls onto the prepared baking sheets. Leave about 3 inches between the cookies so they will have room to spread.
- Bake the cookies for 12-13 minutes, until they are golden brown. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet for at least 3-5 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack to cool completely.