It’s March and the winter season is almost over. I couldn’t let the winter soup season pass us by without sharing my recipe for Broccoli White Cheddar Soup with Butternut Squash! I created this soup on Instagram stories awhile back If you aren’t following me on Instagram, you might just want to go ahead and click on this link and go follow me link and go follow me so you can see my behind the scenes recipe creation! Anyway, this Broccoli White Cheddar Soup with Butternut Squash is so creamy and velvety smooth, very filling and oh-so-comforting! I’m pretty sure I ate two bowls that night with some homemade whole wheat Garlic Rosemary Parmesan Skillet Bread.
Sometimes the irritating thing to me about a lot of people’s soup is the lack of seasoning. I really wanted to make sure I gave this Broccoli White Cheddar Soup with Butternut Squash some FLAVOR, so I spiced things up a bit with some warming spices such as ground ginger, cumin, ancho chili powder, a little pinch of cayenne pepper, and some ground mustard to really amp up the flavor of the white cheddar! No bland soups over here! And this soup comes together in under an hour, so what’s not to love?
The weather is going to be a bit chilly here in Houston for the next few days, so I’m more than likely making a pot of this soup. You all that live up north (really any state above Texas) are so lucky to be able to enjoy your thick and hearty soups for at least the next month. This Broccoli White Cheddar Soup with Butternut Squash is a great transitional soup into springtime because it’s not ultra heavy and hearty but still leaves you feeling full. And I’m totally down for that right now because my appetite has been really poor the past few months and I am most positive it has something to do with my Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I’ve honestly been struggling with my health lately and trying to develop a plan of action to heal myself, or at least get very close to optimal health. I’m going to be sharing more blog posts about my plans over the next few weeks.
Tips for Broccoli White Cheddar Soup with Butternut Squash
If you want to make this soup as healing as possible use some bone broth or good homemade stock! Bone broth is excellent for healing leaky gut syndrome, and most people suffer from this without even realizing it. (Dr. Axe) If you want to make this soup vegetarian then use vegetable broth instead.
I used a fresh butternut squash and diced it into small cubes, then tossed the cubes in a little olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper. After that, I roasted the cubes at 400℉ for about 20-25 minutes, or until fork tender. You could save yourself some time and buy an already prepped and diced butternut squash in the refrigerated section of your favorite grocery store.
Since it’s “one of those days” for me, I’m going to keep this post relatively short today and end here so you guys can go prep all of your ingredients and get started on this fabulous soup! If you love this recipe, please be sure to share it with your friends and family by using the share buttons at the top, side, or bottom of this post. Also, don’t forget to save it to your personal recipe archives by using the yum or pin button. Here are my social media links to follow me so we can keep in touch outside of the blog:Bloglovin’,Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat to stay up-to-date. Also, please subscribe to my YouTube channel because I will be adding a recipe video next week!
- 4 tablespoons salted grass-fed butter
- 1 tablespoon organic olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup organic unbleached flour
- 3 cups organic chicken broth
- 3 cups organic whole milk or half-n-half
- 4 cups broccoli florets chopped
- 1/2 pound roasted butternut squash
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon organic ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon organic ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 ounces white cheddar freshly shredded
- In a large soup pot set over medium heat, melt the butter and olive oil.
- Next, add the diced onion, and sauté for about 3 minutes until they are soft and translucent. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add flour to the pot and stir for 1 minute to cook off the floury taste. Next, add the stock a little at a time, whisking between pouring the stock. You want to ensure lumps do not form. After all of the stock has been incorporated, add in the whole milk or half-n-half. Stir until combined.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and then add in the broccoli florets and roasted butternut squash. Next, add in the seasonings and allow the soup to simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until it has thickened.
- Remove the soup pot from the heat and add the shredded white cheddar cheese. Stir until combined.
- If it isn’t as thick as you would like, take 1 tablespoon of tapioca flour or cornstarch and add this into 1 tablespoon of cold water then add it to the soup. Cook for 1 minute until the soup thickens then serve.